Saturday, October 11, 2008

my my mycology!

Another mushroom walk today along the creek near my house.

Found a bunch of yellow mushrooms growing on a dead tree trunk. The average size was 5 cm in diameter, the cap was convex with brown scales and sticky, adnate gills, yellow-olive spore prints. Black termite-y looking bugs chewing holes in them. I think they are Pholiota alnicola.

Another bunch of polypores growing on dead wood. White with a yellow-creamy edge, cap has bumps on it (like it has rhino whatever), convex shape, seemed delicate like a succulent, creamy pink-orangle pores, no stem (it was growing on the wood along the edge of the cap). I wasn't able to get spore print on white or black paper. Maybe a Tyromyces chioneus?



Finally a puffball in the neighbor's yard. I should probably let them know what I'm up to on their lawn so they don't call the coppers on me. It had scales and what looks like an annulus. Do puffballs have annuli?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re. your puffball... could it have been an earthball? There are tons around England this season. Though I have never seen an annulus on them.

spring snow said...

It could be. Are earthballs completely white on the inside when young? The other thing it could be according to my "Field Guide to Wild Mushrooms of Pennsylvania and the Mid-Atlantic" is an Old Man of the Woods (Strobilomyces floccopus)